The Department of Mathematics at IIT Guwahati, since its very inception in 1995, has strived to be a centre of excellence in mathematics and computing, and it has been vigorously engaged in research, teaching and training.
- To transform young people to competent and motivated professionals with sound theoretical and practical knowledge
- To produce post-graduate students with strong foundation to join research or to serve in industry
- To create an atmosphere conducive to high-class research and to produce researchers with clear thinking and determination who can, in future, become experts in relevant areas of mathematics, statistics and computer science.
- To be a center for advanced research in various areas of mathematics, statistics and computer science.
- To cater to the development of the nation, particularly the North-East region, through research, consultancy and training activities.
About the Department:
The department has at present 40 energetic and dedicated faculty members in many diverse areas of mathematics, and it also boasts of hosting visits of a good number of distinguished mathematicians every year.
Having started the Ph.D. programme in 1996, the department initiated a 2-year M.Sc. programme in Mathematics and Computing in 2000. From the academic year 2006-2007, the department started a unique 4-year B.Tech. programme in Mathematics and Computing – the first of its kind in the country. This unique programme comprises of courses in mathematics, statistics, computer science and financial engineering. The department also supports all the engineering and science departments by offering core and advanced courses in mathematics at the undergraduate B.Tech. Level over a number of semesters. The department is likely starting a dual degree M.Sc-PhD programme in near future.Many of the graduate students have gone for higher studies in reputed universities abroad and within the India. Regarding campus placement, some of the recruiters of our students are Adobe, Amazon, Bank of America, Deloitte, Ericsson, Facebook, Infosys, Xerox Research, Microsoft, Oracle, Samsung, PWC.